Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why I ride

I frequently have people ask me “how’s your mom doing?” That’s a hard question to answer. How do you tell someone that the woman who used to run you all over town, volunteer for PTA, maintain a spotless house and manage a happy home now cannot drive a car, is in a wheelchair and has a cleaning service?

Let me tell you why I find it hard to answer that question. I find it hard to answer that question because MS is the most frustrating, helpless disease for both the patient and those that care about them.

How would you respond if you had to watch someone you love lose use of their major motor skills, short term memory and only on occasion do you get to see their natural, infectious personality?

Well, I ride! I get on my bike for 2 days and cover 150 miles, most of the time wondering if my pain and soreness compares to anything near what MS patients experience. I ride because she and millions of others just like her cannot – and I’m positive they wish they could. I ride to raise money for finding a cure.

Please join me in the fight to find a cure for multiple sclerosis. You’re probably reading this because you know me and/or my family. Together we can make a difference in the lives of millions of families around the world.

No comments: